The Band was originally formed as the Croydon Temperance Silver Band in 1911.
It has subsequently undergone a number of name changes:
- Croydon Borough Band
- Croydon Co-op Brass Band 1977 - 1998
- Croydon Brass Band 1998 - 2009
- Croydon Brass 2010 - present
The Band has rehearsed in several different venues in Croydon over the years. However in 1967, with the development of Croydon Town Centre, the Band was left homeless. This meant a move out of Croydon and for the following ten years the Band rehearsed in the Sutton Arts Centre. In 1977 the Band secured a sponsorship deal with the South Suburban Co-operative Society. The Band then rehearsed at the London Road Co-op store in Croydon, until the Band was forced to move when the store was closed. After a spell rehearsing in Addiscombe the Band moved to Parchmore Methodist Church and Community Centre in Thornton Heath where it remained until the end of 2018. In January 2019, the Band moved into its new home at Stanley Halls in South Norwood.
(Not our usual attire, but shows we've lightened up a little since 1911!)
Help us to fill in the gaps!
The Band has gone through a number of incarnations in its 100+ year history and we would like to present a more detailed history. If you have any information or photos that would help us compile this then please get in touch.